Cheng Ho (Zheng He) made this navigation map based on his seven voyages to the western oceans. The map was said to be made during 1425 to 1430. There is a island named “Chen Gong Yu” that located in between Pulau Sembilan and Penang was speculated to be Pangkor.
1670: The Dutch built a wooden fort in Teluk Gedung, south of Pangkor.
1680: The Dutch reinforced the fort with rocks. The fort then comprised office and dorminatory as well as arsenal.
1741: The Dutch rebuilt a fort to safe guard the merchant ships on the Strait of Malacca.
01/1874: Governor Sir Andrew Clarke met with Malay chieves of Perak and Chinese leaders in Pangkor. The outcome of the meeting was Pangkor Treaty of 1874, which began the British colonial domination of the Malay Peninsula.
1925: Hua Min school and Ding Xin school were opened.
1926: The Cantonese fishermen discovered Indian Mackerel in Pangkor.
1930: Marine Industry Association was found.
1935: Hua Min and Ding Xin merged as a new school named Hua Min Ding Xin School.
07/1936: The Sultan of Perak built a palace in Pulau Pelandok, a tiny island at the north of Pangkor Island.
1938: The first icemaking plant was opened, the daily production was 100 blocks. The second plant was in the process of building.
05/1938: The fishing boat in Pangkor started to install motor.
09/1938: There were over 1000 Chinese resided on the island.
1940: The Hainanese fishermen used the Hainanese boat and hemp nets to fish.
12/4/1940: The Pangkor Fishery Labourers Association was formed.
05/1940: Pangkor Talkie Cinema started its operation in Sungai Pinang Besar, screening one film a month; the profit of every last show day were donated to Hua Min Ding Xin school.
1940-1941: Malaya-Chinese writer Tie Kang was appointed as the headmaster at Hua Min Ding Xin Chinese School. He was later murdered by the Japanese Army in Singapore.
22/6/1941: Population in Pangkor was around 5 thousand.
11/1946: Chinese triad gang fight broke out.
12/1946: Telephone system was launched.
1948: Chang Li icemaking plant that had been demolished after WWII, was rebuilt on the original site.
09/1948: Chinese Labour Service Centre was formed.
29/8/1950: Zhong Hua School formed a brass band. The band had a concert and launching ceremony at Chinese Labour Service Centre.
16/11/1950: The school in Pangkor, Zhong Hua and Hua Min Ding Xin were merged as Hwa Lian Chinese School.
30/11/1950: A fight broke out among the Hainanese fishermen in Sungai Pinang Kecil.
24/12/1952: Si Hai Li fishing boat caught a catshark of 300 kg, with the body length of more than 1.5 meter.
1950~1955: Driftnetting was introduced to Pangkor via Thailand. The fish net made of synthetice material was imported from Japan, spreading in the fishing industry of Malaysia.
Before 1954: Sungai Pinang Kecil Cinema was open.
02/1954: Population in Pangkor was over 10 thousand, the amount comprised 8000 Chinese, 3000 Malay and a couple hundred of Indian.
15/05/1954: The new building of Fishermen’s Union was officiated.
1954: Chen Gao Bi opened an icemaking plant in Sungai Pinang Kecil.
6/09/1954: Sungai Pinang Kecil Cinema organised a fund-raising fair for Nan Yang University.
04/1955: Chen Gao Bi was developing another icemaking plant in Sungai Pinang Besar, expected to be finished within a few months.
19/09/1955: Hokkien Association built a new club house to replace the old Atap building.
19/09/1955: Hwa Lian School bought a land to build an assembly hall and over twenty classrooms. The new location was in Pangkor area that were famous for its scenery. Many coconut trees were chopped. The construction materials were imported from Singapore.
The main campus of Hwa Lian was located in Sungai Pinang Besar, the other two branches were set in Sungai Pinang Kecil Hokkien Association and Han Kang Association in Pangkor town area.
22/07/1956: Qiong Zhou Association was found after 10 months of preparation, with the subscription of 800 members. The opening ceremony was held at Sungai Pinang Kecil Pangkor Cinema.
16/02/1958: Sungai Pianng Besar Cinema was launched.
11/06/1958: Fights broken out among triads, causing serious injuries.
16/11/1958: Pangkor Sea View Hotel was launched.
2/05/1959: Population in Pangkor was over 13 thousand (around 9200 Chinese).
2/05/1959: Malay-Chinese racial clash happened in Pulau Pangkor, while the leaders from Perak state were having speech in Sungai Pinang Kecil. Curfew was instituted.
9/05/1959: Curfew was lifted.
7/09/1959: Electricity supply had started.
1960: Ao Zheng Yu, a priest from Setiawan Catholic Church found Star of the Sea English School.
6/08/1960: State Assenblyman Wang Ting Sheng urged the government to provide water supply to the Pangkorian.
01/1961: The English school, Star of the Sea opened another branch in Pangkor.
8/9/1962: Baldwin, Charles Franklin (Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary, Malaysia) came to Pangkor Island. The Baldwins stayed in the government rest house during their visit.
1962: Hai Chang Li fishing boat broke the catch recorded by a 360kg harvest of Indian Macherel in one night.
1963: The fishermen rushed to catch Ikan Bilis, the anchovies.
1962: Sungai Pinang Kecil Jetty was built and launced.
01/1964: Happy Cinema was renovated and re-opened.
70′s: The Cantonese Association Pangkor was founded.
1970: A new and more powerful telephone system was installed.
1973: The Dutch for was rebuilt.
1976: The first fish satay factory was founded. The recipe was said to be developed by a hotel chef worked in Pangkor Laut Island.
04/1985: Population in Pangkor was over 20 thousand.
References: National Library Board Singapore, Nanyang Siang Pau, Lianhe Zaobao, Lianhe Wanbao, Sin Chew Jit Poh, YuHuo LangHua by Chai You Hui, and PIF2013 Map.
Edited by Yeap Lee Hua (Volunteer PIF2015), translated by Foo Fei Ling.